Calming Kurst down they convince the young pathfinder that rushing off now could be a mistake. Lucius suggests moving off to camp and come the following day will prepare a charm person spell to get more answers from the unconscious elder orc.
The group moves off and with Kurst as their guide find a secluded, out of the way spot. The day is spent doing maintenance on arms and armour.
As morning light begins to break the darkness, Jurgen notices a line of shadowy figures traveling in the distance. Safe in the Hut he thinks nothing of it but quickly reconsiders when his mount attracts unwanted attention. Sending it off into the low hills he wakes a few of the Ravens and they watch the approaching figures, revealed to be orcs with a few ogres and a chained giant. Having lost the scent and not approaching close enough to the hut the orcs move off.
Packing up the group watches as Kurst and Lucius take the Orc into the hills away from the others. Successfully charming him, Lucius finds that his attitude becomes friendlier but is still confrontational and … Orcish.
“Why is that Human here!?” it demands. Lucius calmly explains to it that he cannot speak the orc tongue so he has his minion translate for him. Kurst frowns slightly but says nothing. Lucius reveals to the orc that he is here to help them. He wishes to join in the sacking of Trunau so that he can be placed there as the ruler after the orcs have finished with it. The Orc nods and questions Lucius in regards to his allies and why he is interested in helping. Lucius convinces him of his sincerity, dodging the orcs demands to kill Kurst as sign of trust, and gains the following information.
- Banter has taken the tribe down to the Foundry which is in Steel Eater orc territory. Lucius probes and finds that the Steel Eaters are a tribe that make arms and armour for the surrounding Orc Tribes.
- A force of Twisted Nail orcs have been sent to Trunau, they are to take the city.
- They left two days ago. It is a four day trip.
- Only the dregs of the Tribe have been left behind. The Horned one is gathering orcs to his Banner.
- Lucius politely thanks the orc and then Magic Missiles him in the chest. Killing him.
Kurst wants to head back immediately. No one argues the point when Kurst suggests a straight path in. Instead of taking the better part of three days it will take them only two. They should arrive either at the same time or shortly after the orcs do.
Luck is on their side as both day and night go by with little interference. Perhaps the large force of Orcs that had gone through previously scared off any predators.
Getting to the hills beneath Trunau as evening begins to descend the Ravens see that Trunau burns fitfully. The gates are open and siege weapons are lined beneath the palisade walls, manned by orcs and a Giant.
Wasting no time the group rushes into combat.
- Lucius banishes a Flind war leader wielding a triple headed flail of skulls.
- Fireballs from both Eevi and Lucius rain down on the Gnoll Pack that has arrived to reinforce the orcs.
- The Giant is stopped in its tracks as Sascha engages it.
- The battle goes quickly and even with a fresh wave of gnolls coming to join the fray the Ravens prove their might.
- The Flind reappears slavering madly from its time spent trapped in the Astral Plane.
- It is quickly and brutally put down. It’s return attacks missing or proving ineffective.
Kurst breaks off as the fight ends. He makes a straight line for the town gates where only a couple of orcs can be seen. Invisible Eevi follows him watching over Kurst even as he dispatches orcs with his arrows.
The Iron Ravens take the time to search the bodies as Jurgen puts Siege Breaker to use smashing the Mangonels.
Entering town behind Kurst Eevi sees that the main gates are slightly battered, the lower area is abandoned and empty and that a few of the homes here and there have catapult damage. She sees Kurst sneak his way past orcs he can’t handle alone and watches as he kills orcs that are alone or in pairs. Making his way to the middle ground they pass the Hopespring seeing that the cliff wall there has been smashed revealing a dark entrance within.
Flying up to the top of the fortified gate Eevi lands there a moment.
The Ravens enter, trailing by a few minutes. They find the place empty and abandoned. Aldonis rushes to where Bridge would be stabled and sees that the animals are no longer there. He can only assume that they have all been taken up into the higher sections of Trunau. Breathing a sigh of relief he imparts onto the group his higher understanding of Trunau’s tactics. “They must have opened the gates to funnel the orcs into the center killing ground”. Jurgen shoots back that “Gates are Expensive to repair!”
As they dispatch a couple of looting orcs they see coming from the Hopespring a Giant chained at both wrists and ankles. Goaded it follows its handlers and rushes into the group.
- The giant pounds into the group and the orcs. Killing two of its handlers.
- The giant fights ferociously but without much hope. It’s remaining handlers are killed and it too is eventually felled, though not before an Orc caster falls into the waters, his invisibility canceled by his sudden death.
The decision is made to head into middle Trunau to help the residents fight back the invading orcs.