… the group immediately changes it’s mind and decides to head into the hole smashed into the Hope Spring Cliff.
Forging their way across the shallow waters of the spring The Iron Ravens take a peak inside. Immediately within there is a rough tunnel leading down at a gentle slope. Broken Webs drift lazily in the moving air currents. Jurgen Frostbeard is able to discern that the inside is of much older construction. A tunnel that has been hidden within the spring for potential centuries.
Taking the lead the Paladin enters, followed by his companions. The tunnel extends deep within and under the upper section of Trunau before coming to a much larger tool hewn cavern. There is a natural stone bridge heading to the left, a sloping path to the right and darkness beyond their torch light and Darkvison ahead of them. They can hear and smell the damp waters of an underground pool just beyond their sight.
In the dim light before them, a seething mass of darkness shifts and pulses. Numerous points of light begin to show themselves, eyes reflecting redly, revealing that the pile is in fact several swarms of inky black rats. Breaking formation the swarm separates into 4 distinct groups, and rush the adventurers.
- During the fight it is revealed that the rats are undead and drain the strength of those they hit.
- Sascha, Jurgen and Manto are drained significantly even as the rats are destroyed bit by bit.
Taking a quick minute to gather themselves Aldonis notices yellow eyes glinting beyond in the darkness, disappearing just as quickly. Whatever it was, it doesn’t seem to want to engage.
Looking around the Ravens pick the path heading deeper in ahead of them, bypassing the stone bridge to the left and the narrow ledge that sneaks past the pit and water to the right.
Before them is a ledge, 10ft high, and on that ledge are poles that have Huge Skeletal remains tied to them. To the right a path leads around and up a ramp. As they make their way up and amongst those funerary totems a voice from the darkness hisses in Set’s Stygian language, commanding one of the dead skeletons of ancient Hill giant heroes to rise and attack. “Kill them!”
- A huge Skeleton snaps free of it’s restraints and staggers into the party, smashing with a long bone club.
- From the darkness more words of power and a earth shaking roar
- Thudding footsteps announces the arrival of a huge creature even as the adventurers continue to battle the giant bones. A T-Rex bursts into the radius of the various light spells.
- It sizes up the smaller foes around it and it focuses on Aldonis, nostrils flaring.
- The undead giant hero is destroyed even as the T-Rex drops down from the ledge to the lower section hunting for the softer party members.
- As Jurgen calls for the hidden caster’s head, Lucius casts fly on himself and follows the dwarf, Manto and Sascha into the darkness beyond.